Kalispell is located within 30 minutes of Flathead lake, Big Mountain Ski Resort, and Glacier Park.
It was founded in 1891when the Great Northern Railroad surveyors came through.
Population of the Flathead Valley is approximately 125,000.
Standard of Living
All information was collected from a survey distributed to MT AmeriCorps members in Winter 2009-2010.
- 70% shares a house with AmeriCorps members
- 14% shares an apartment with AmeriCorps members
- 15% shares a house with non-AmeriCorps members
- $330.00 is the average rent (probably less, because 14% put down that they pay $900 for rent, but they share a house with other AmeriCorps members, so it is likely less than $900, but they did not divide the amount into what they pay, as an individual, for rent
- Utilities are an average of $50.83/month for the three members who reported paying utilities.
- All members live a maximum of 3 miles from their place of work
- All members live less than a mile from town (grocery, banks, etc.)
- 57% members recommend having a car
- 29% would not recommend their landlords
- 71% would, but there is not a lot of reliable contact for them. One recommendation was: Appleway Apartments (Yvonne).
- 57% members used Craiglist to find housing
- 43% found theirs by looking around the community.
Newspapers & Event Calendars
Flathead Beacon Newspaper - http://www.flatheadevents.net/
Daily Interlake Newspaper - http://dailyinterlake.com/
Red’s Wines and Blues - 30 2nd St E
Happy Hour 3-6, Karaoke, Open Mic Night, Live Music (no website)
Moose’s Saloon – 173 N Main St
Great Pizza! Sawdust and peanut shell floors. Beer bar; cash only.
Fat Boy’s – 1307 Us Highway 2 W
Great Northern - 27 Central Ave, Whitefish (15 miles north of Kalispell)
Brewery, Live Music
Coffee Shops and Restaurants
Colter Coffee - 424 Main St
Pastries, Coffee! Great local art on the walls.
Montana Coffee Traders - 328 W Center St
Great local coffee establishment. Yummy food and pastries. Also locations in Whitefish and Columbia Falls.
Ceres Bakery - 318 Main St
Best pastries in town, freshly made bread! Serves Colter Coffee.
Wheat Montana - 405 Main St
Montana local bread establishment. Sandwiches, salads, etc.
Gresko’s - 647 E Idaho St
Panini’s, coffee, baked goods, fine chocolate and gelato! Also sells fine cheeses, organic meat, and other hard to find goods.
JD Morell’s - 175 Hutton Ranch Rd # 115
Great place for soup and sandwiches.
The Knead - 25 2nd Ave W
Awesome!! Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in the summer. Outdoor seating.
Norm’s News - 48 Main St.
Milkshakes and a large variety of candy.
PB&J – 1st Ave East
Christian book store with baked goods and java! Yummy sandwiches too!
Community Thrift - 203 5th Ave W
Best thrift store in town!
Salvation Army - 1500 S Main St
A little pricy for a thrift store. Large variety.
Flathead Industries Thrift - 40 E Idaho St
Great thrift store!
Habitat for Humanity Resell Store - 55 3rd Avenue East N
They resell items for home construction that they can’t use. Mirrors, shelves, etc.
Albertson’s - 900 W Idaho St
Smith’s - 195 3rd Avenue East N
Super 1 - 55 1st Avenue East
Rosauer’s - US Highway 93 N
Withey’s Health Foods - 1231 S Main St
Three Rivers Bank - 552 N Meridian Rd
US Bank - 30 N Main St
Glacier Bank - 202 Main Street
Wells Fargo - 215 2nd Ave E
First Interstate - 112 E Montana St
Bank of America - 128 N Meridian Rd
First National Bank of Montana - 85 N Main S
247 1st Ave E
248 1st Ave W
State of MT Public Assistance (Food Stamps)
Ste A, 121 Financial Dr
185 Hutton Ranch Road